Russian Orthodox Convent “Novo-Diveevo” is located approximately 24 miles north of New York City in Nanuet, NY. The founder of the convent was Archbishop Andrei of Rockland, then Protopresbyter Adrian (Rimarenko).
The convent has many sacred items as a a full-length portrait of St. Seraphim of Sarov painted during his lifetime, a cross from the Ipatiev House and two icons, which belongs to the last Russian emperor.
In 1943, the portrait of St. Seraphim was evacuated from Kiev with Germans army. The German commandant learned that Archpriest Adrian also has been evacuated to Berlin, Germany and he asked Fr. Adrian to take the holy icon. So, the image was set up in the Berlin Cathedral, to which Fr. Adrian had been assigned as a rector.
In 1949, a lot of refugees arrived in America and Fr. Adrian was one of them. He purchased a former Roman Catholic monastery and so a Russian convent was founded. There are two churches on the property; the small church is named in honor of the Dormition. The main church was built in honor of St. Seraphim of Sarov. The convent is home to the largest Russian Orthodox cemetery in the Diaspora in New York state. An Old Age Home is also operated by the convent.